All players living in the city of Coon Rapids or Coon Rapids High School (CRHS) attendance area are eligible to try out for a team. See HERE for a map of CRHS attendance area. Note: MYAS requires that players play for their local traveling association. See HERE for their rules for team formation.
Teams are formed through a tryout process in early fall, usually in the month of September. Traveling season for both boys and girls runs from October thru March.
How many teams and players are there?
CRCBC's goal is to have 2 teams (Red and White) made up of approximately 10 players each for each grade level for each gender, Grades 3-8. If we have the numbers, we also would form a 3rd team (Black) for that grade.
How often do teams practice and where?
Teams practice an average of 2 times per week, with some of the older grades getting a 3rd practice for a week, 1 -2 times per month. CRCBC holds most practices at Anoka Ramsey Community College. Other practices are held in local area school gyms.
When and here are games and tournaments played?
Tournaments are played on weekends in metro area schools. Generally, teams in grades 4-8 plays 2-3 tournaments a month, and 3 games between Saturday and Sunday for each tournament. 3rd grade will play in fewer tournaments.
How much does traveling basketball cost?
Fees and costs for traveling basketball include:
1) Tryout Fees - This is a $20 non-refundable fees required for all players and due at time of registration, no later than on the day of tryouts. Note - 3rd graders do not have a tryout fee.
2) Registration Fees* - All those trying out for traveling basketball must pay registration fees. For the 2017-18 season, these are $320 for grades 5-8, and $220 for 4th grade (tryouts fees are added when you register, so total costs were $340 and $240 respectively). 3rd Grade registration fees are $160 (no tryout fee). These fees cover gym times, team entrance fees to tournaments, insurance and administrative expenses. Note: Registration costs (minus tryout fees) are refunded if a player does not get placed on a team within three weeks of tryouts. *8th Grade A level teams collect additional funds of $50 for paid coaching positions.
3) Uniform Fees - For 2017-18, all players in grades 4-8 will need to purchase a uniform. Estimated costs are $60-$65/uniform. 3rd Grader players will receive a reversible jersey as part of their registration fees. Uniform sizing will be done at tryouts and fees will be collected for anyone needing to buy them very shortly after teams are announced. Note: New for 2016-17, all players will receive a free warm up jersey.
4) Doors and Gate Fees - While the players' door fees for tournaments are covered through registration costs, each tournament charges door fees. Generally these are $6 for an adult, and $4 for children over 5 years of age.
5) Volunteer Fees - At tryout/registration, CRCBC collects a volunteer check for $200, which is not cashed as long as adults fulfill their required volunteer hours at the home tournaments (2 shifts/player, which is approx. 8 hours/player). Our home tournament dates are November 18-19, 2017 (Boys) and January 20-21, 2018 (Girls). If you are not interested in volunteering at our tournaments, you can pay a flat volunteer fee of $150 to have your volunteer requirement met. Either a deposit check ($200) or volunteer fee check ($150) must be collected at tryouts.
6) Optional Apparel - Players and families have the option to purchase additional apparel, like warm ups, sweatshirts, shoes, hats, etc.
7) Out of Town Tournament - Grades 4-8 do one out of town tournament each year. The player is responsible for paying for their lodging, meals, etc while at the out of town tournament. The tournaments we attend are held in Brainerd for both girls and boys. CRCBC purchases pizzas for an "all team" party/dinner during one night of the tournament for all our families.
Are scholarships available?
A limited number of scholarships are available. Eligibility is dependent upon approval for free or reduced lunches. If you'd like to receive the $50 discount for free/reduced lunches, you must:
You must produce proof of eligibility for free or reduced lunch to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once we receive proof of eligibility, we will send you a coupon code to use when you register. You must provide proof of free/reduced lunch prior to registering in order to get the $50 discount.
Does CRCBC require fundraising?
The majority of our fundraising is done via hosting home tournaments, where your volunteer hours are fulfilled. Additionally, there is an annual Shoot-A-Thon where all players are asked to get sponsors and shoot 100 free throw shots. Each player is expected to raise $25 for this event.
Do you have any family discounts?
CRCBC offers a $50 discount on a subsequent child's registration fees from the same household. Note - the players must be registered on the same online account and done on the same day to receive the discount.
(click image to visit MYAS website)
What is Cardinal Peeps?
Cardinal Peeps is CRCBCs youth develop camps. These are held throughout the year and focus on boys and girls in grades K-3.
What are dates for Cardinal Peeps camps?
For 2017-18, we will have 3 Cardinal Peep sessions. Session 1 is Sept 30, Oct 7, Oct 28 & Nov 4. Session 2 is Jan 6, 23, 27 & Feb 3. Session 3 is April 7, 14, 21 & 28. You can sign up for one, two or all three sessions.
What are costs/fees for Cardinal Peeps camps?
Sessions are $30 each. If you sign up for all three, the total cost is $80. The fees include a reversible jersey, and if you complete all three sessions, a medal.
Where are Cardinal Peeps camps located?
Cardinal Peeps camps are held at the Anoka Ramsey Community College field house.
How do I register for Cardinal Peeps?
Online registration links will be available soon!
(Click envelope to email)