All players living in the city of Coon Rapids or Coon Rapids High School (CRHS) attendance area are eligible to try out for a team. See HERE for a map of CRHS attendance area. Note: MYAS requires that players play for their local traveling association. See HERE for their rules for team formation.
Teams are formed through a tryout process in early fall. Traveling season for both boys and girls runs from October thru March.
How many teams and players are there?
CRCBC's goal is to have 2 teams (Red and White) made up of approximately 10 players each for each grade level for each gender, Grades 3-8. If we have the numbers, we also would form a 3rd team (Black) for that grade.
How often do teams practice and where?
Teams practice an average of 2 times per week, with some of the older grades getting a 3rd practice for a week, 1 -2 times per month. CRCBC holds most practices at Anoka Ramsey Community College. Other practices are held in local area school gyms.
When and here are games and tournaments played?
Tournaments are played on weekends in metro area schools. Generally, teams in grades 4-8 plays 2-3 tournaments a month, and 3 games between Saturday and Sunday for each tournament. 3rd grade will play in fewer tournaments.
How much does traveling basketball cost?
Fees and costs for traveling basketball include:
1) Tryout Fees - This is a $20 non-refundable fees required for all players and due at time of registration, no later than on the day of tryouts
2) Registration Fees* - All those trying out for traveling basketball must pay registration fees. For 2016-17, these are $280 for grades 5-8, and $200 for 4th grade (tryouts fees are added when you register, so total costs were $300 and $220 respectively). 3rd Grade registration fees are $120 (plus above tryout fee, so $140 total). These fees cover gym times, team entrance fees to tournaments, insurance and administrative expenses. Note: Registration costs (minus tryout fees) are refunded if a player does not get placed on a team within three weeks of tryouts. *8th Grade A level teams collect additional funds of $50 for paid coaching positions.
3) Uniform Fees - For 2016-17, returning players in Grades 5-8 will be able to use their existing uniforms. 4th Graders and any new players in grades 5-8 will need to purchase a uniform. Estimated costs are $80. 3rd Grader players will receive a reversible jersey as part of their registration fees. Uniform sizing will be done at tryouts and fees will be collected for anyone needing to buy them very shortly after teams are announced. Note: New for 2016-17, all players will receive a free warm up jersey.
4) Doors and Gate Fees - While the players' door fees for tournaments are covered through registration costs, each tournament charges door fees. Generally these are $6 for an adult, and $4 for children over 5 years of age.
5) Volunteer Fees - At tryout/registration, CRCBC collects a volunteer check for $200, which is not cashed 2 adults fulfill their required volunteer hours at the home tournaments (8 hours/player). Our home tournament dates are November 19-20 (Boys) and January 21-22 (Girls). If you are not interested in volunteering at our tournaments, you can pay a flat volunteer fee of $150 to have your volunteer requirement met. Either a deposit check ($200) or volunteer fee check ($150) must be collected at tryouts.
6) Optional Apparel - Players and families have the option to purchase additional apparel, like warm ups, sweatshirts, shoes, hats, etc.
7) Out of Town Tournament - Grades 4-8 do one out of town tournament each year. The player is responsible for paying for their lodging, meals, etc while at the out of town tournament. The tournaments we attend are held in Brainerd for both girls and boys. CRCBC purchases pizzas for an "all team" party/dinner during one night of the tournament for all our families.
Are scholarships available?
A limited number of scholarships are available. Eligibility is dependent upon approval for free or reduced lunches. You can elect scholarships when registering for Tryouts/Traveling, but you must produce proof of eligibility for free or reduced lunch to firstname.lastname@example.org, or bring with you to tryouts. We must receive proof by September 30, 2016. Note: Failure to provide proof will result in you having to pay scholarship amounts.
Does CRCBC require fundraising?
The majority of our fundraising is done via hosting home tournaments, where your volunteer hours are fulfilled. Additionally, there is an annual Shoot-A-Thon where all players are asked to get sponsors and shoot 100 free throw shots. Each player is expected to raise $25 for this event.
Do you have any family discounts?
CRCBC offers a $50 discount on a subsequent child's registration fees from the same household. Note - the players must be registered on the same online account and done on the same day to receive the discount.
(click image to visit MYAS website)
What is Cardinal Peeps?
Cardinal Peeps is CRCBCs youth develop camps. These are held throughout the year and focus on boys and girls in grades K-3.
What are dates for Cardinal Peeps camps?
For 2016-17, we will have 3 Cardinal Peep sessions. Session 1 is Sept 17, 24, Oct 1 & 8. Session 2 is Jan 7, 14, 21 & 28. Session 3 is April 1, 8, 15 & 22. You can sign up for one, two or all three sessions.
What are costs/fees for Cardinal Peeps camps?
Sessions are $30 each. If you sign up for all three, the total cost is $80. The fees include a reversible jersey, and if you complete all three sessions, a medal.
Where are Cardinal Peeps camps located?
Cardinal Peeps camps are held at the Anoka Ramsey Community College field house.
How do I register for Cardinal Peeps?
Click HERE to register for a 2016-17 Cardinal Peeps session(s).
(Click envelope to email)