All players living in the city of Coon Rapids or Coon Rapids High School (CRHS) attendance area are eligible to try out for a team. See HERE for a map of CRHS attendance area. Note: MYAS requires that players play for their local traveling association. See HERE for their rules for team formation.
Teams are formed through a tryout process in early fall, usually in the month of September. Traveling season for both boys and girls runs from October thru March.
How many teams and players are there?
CRCBC's goal is to have at least 2 teams (Red and White) made up of approximately 10 players each for each grade level for each gender, Grades 3-8.
How often do teams practice and where?
Teams practice an average of 2 times per week, with some of the older grades getting a 3rd practice for a week, 1 -2 times per month. Other practices are held in local area school gyms.
When and where are games and tournaments played?
Tournaments are played on weekends in metro area schools. Generally, teams in grades 4-8 play 2-3 tournaments per month, and 3 games between Saturday and Sunday for each tournament. 3rd grade will play in fewer tournaments.
How much does traveling basketball cost?
Fees and costs for traveling basketball include:
1) CRCBC has no tryout fees!
2) Registration Fees - All those trying out for traveling basketball must pay registration fees. For the 2020-2021 season, these are $350 for grades 5-8, $250 for 4th grade and $150 for 3rd grade. These fees cover gym times, team entrance fees to tournaments, insurance and administrative expenses.
3) Uniform Fees are included in registration for new players. Returning players who need new sizes from the 2019-2020 season will need to pay for replacement pieces.
Our 3rd Grade players will receive a reversible jersey and a shooting shirt as part of their registration fees.
Players in 4th- 8th grade will receive a Nike reversible jersey and shorts and a shooting shirt.
4) Doors and Gate Fees - While the players' door fees for tournaments are covered through registration costs, each tournament charges door fees. Generally, these are $6 for an adult and $4 for children over 5 years of age.
5) Volunteer Fees - All families are required to have adults work TWO shifts per child (approx. 8 hours) during our home tournaments. It is your responsibility to check-in and out at the volunteer registration table to make sure your hours are recorded. Volunteer hours sign up will be available online closer to tournament dates.
If you do not fulfill your volunteer requirement, you will be invoiced $200 through the SportsEngine system in January, due by February 1st.
If you are not interested in working the tournament, a flat $150 Volunteer Payment will be collected at registration to cover your volunteer hours.
6) Optional Apparel - Players and families have the option to purchase additional apparel, like warm-ups, sweatshirts, shoes, hats, etc.
7) Out of Town Tournament - Grades 5-8 do one out of town tournament each year. The player is responsible for paying for their lodging, meals, etc. while at the out of town tournament. The tournaments we attend are held in Brainerd for both girls and boys.
Are scholarships available?
A limited number of scholarships are available. Eligibility is dependent upon approval for free or reduced lunches. If you'd like to receive the discount of 1/2 off registration fees you must produce proof of eligibility for free or reduced lunch to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does CRCBC require fundraising?
The majority of our fundraising is done via hosting home tournaments, where your volunteer hours are fulfilled. Other fundraising opportunities this year will include restaurant nights and Heggies Pizza.
Do you have any family discounts?
CRCBC offers a $50 discount on a subsequent child's registration fees from the same household. Note - the players must be registered on the same online account and done on the same day to receive the discount.
What is the refund policy?
If a player does not make a team, registration will be refunded in full within two weeks after teams are posted. CRCBC does not refund players that forfeit their spot on a team.
Please see the Covid-19 Information page on refunds if the season is canceled due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
(Click envelope to email)
Coaches have kept sports alive in 2020. Has your kid's coach helped them through this crisis?Nominate them for a chance to win $2500!