All players living in the city of Coon Rapids or Coon Rapids High School (CRHS) attendance area are eligible to try out for a team. See HERE for a map of CRHS attendance area. Note: MYAS requires that players play for their local traveling association. See HERE for their rules for team formation.
Teams are formed through a tryout process in early fall, usually in the month of September. Traveling season for both boys and girls runs from October thru March.
How many teams and players are there?
CRCBC's goal is to have 2 teams (Red and White) made up of approximately 10 players each for each grade level for each gender, Grades 3-8. If we have the numbers, we also would form a 3rd team (Black) for that grade.
How often do teams practice and where?
Teams practice an average of 2 times per week, with some of the older grades getting a 3rd practice for a week, 1 -2 times per month. CRCBC holds most practices at Anoka Ramsey Community College. Other practices are held in local area school gyms.
When and here are games and tournaments played?
Tournaments are played on weekends in metro area schools. Generally, teams in grades 4-8 plays 2-3 tournaments a month, and 3 games between Saturday and Sunday for each tournament. 3rd grade will play in fewer tournaments.
How much does traveling basketball cost?
Fees and costs for traveling basketball include:
1) Tryout Fees - This is a $20 non-refundable fees required for all players and due at time of registration, no later than on the day of tryouts. For 2018-19, tryout fees are waived if registration is complete by 8/15/18.
2) Registration Fees* - All those trying out for traveling basketball must pay registration fees. For the 2018-19 season, these are $320 for grades 5-8, $220 for 4th grade and $160 for 3rd grade (tryouts fees are added when you register, so total costs are $340, $240 and $180 respectively). These fees cover gym times, team entrance fees to tournaments, insurance and administrative expenses. Note: Registration costs (minus tryout fees) are refunded if a player does not get placed on a team within three weeks of tryouts. *8th Grade A level teams collect additional funds of $50 for paid coaching positions.
3) Uniform Fees - For 2018-2019, returning players will reuse their uniforms from last season. New players will need to purchase a uniform at the time of registration. Cost of uniforms will be $65. Players who have grown out of their uniforms will have an option to purchase a new uniform after they are announced on a team.
Our 3rd Grade players will receive a reversible jersey as part of their registration fees. All new players for this season will receive a free warm up jersey in order to match their teammates.
4) Doors and Gate Fees - While the players' door fees for tournaments are covered through registration costs, each tournament charges door fees. Generally these are $6 for an adult, and $4 for children over 5 years of age.
5) Volunteer Fees - At tryout/registration, CRCBC collects a volunteer check for $200 per player. This is a separate payment from the registration fees that is returned if volunteer hours are completed. All families are required to have adults work TWO shifts per child (approx. 8 hours) during our home tournaments.
For the 2018-2019 season, the home tournament dates are:
• Boys Tournament – Nov 16-18, 2018
• Girls Tournament – Jan 19-20, 2019
This deposit check will be cashed if the volunteer commitment is not fulfilled. It is your responsibility to check in and out at the volunteer registration table to make sure your hours are recorded. Volunteer hours sign up will be available on line closer to tournament dates.
If you are not interested in working the tournament, a flat $150 Volunteer Payment will be collected at registration to cover your volunteer hours.
6) Optional Apparel - Players and families have the option to purchase additional apparel, like warm ups, sweatshirts, shoes, hats, etc.
7) Out of Town Tournament - Grades 4-8 do one out of town tournament each year. The player is responsible for paying for their lodging, meals, etc while at the out of town tournament. The tournaments we attend are held in Brainerd for both girls and boys. CRCBC purchases pizzas for an "all team" party/dinner during one night of the tournament for all our families.
Are scholarships available?
A limited number of scholarships are available. Eligibility is dependent upon approval for free or reduced lunches. If you'd like to receive the $50 discount you must produce proof of eligibility for free or reduced lunch to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once we receive proof of eligibility, we will send you a coupon code to use when you register. You must provide proof of free/reduced lunch prior to registering in order to get the $50 discount.
Does CRCBC require fundraising?
The majority of our fundraising is done via hosting home tournaments, where your volunteer hours are fulfilled. Additionally, there is an annual Shoot-A-Thon where all players are asked to get sponsors and shoot 100 free throw shots. Each player is expected to raise $25 for this event.
Do you have any family discounts?
CRCBC offers a $50 discount on a subsequent child's registration fees from the same household. Note - the players must be registered on the same online account and done on the same day to receive the discount.
(click image to visit MYAS website)
What is Cardinal Peeps?
Cardinal Peeps is CRCBCs youth develop camps. These are held throughout the year and focus on boys and girls in grades K-3.
What are dates for Cardinal Peeps camps?
For 2017-18, we will have 3 Cardinal Peep sessions. Session 1 is Sept 30, Oct 7, Oct 28 & Nov 4. Session 2 is Jan 6, 23, 27 & Feb 3. Session 3 is April 7, 14, 21 & 28. You can sign up for one, two or all three sessions.
What are costs/fees for Cardinal Peeps camps?
Sessions are $30 each. If you sign up for all three, the total cost is $80. The fees include a reversible jersey, and if you complete all three sessions, a medal.
Where are Cardinal Peeps camps located?
Cardinal Peeps camps are held at the Anoka Ramsey Community College field house.
How do I register for Cardinal Peeps?
Online registration links will be available soon!
(Click envelope to email)